As I said, meat has been a bit more common here in our household. Unfortunately, these sandwiches don’t have meat in them but they do have portobello mushrooms that are supposed to represent more of the “meaty” part of this sandwich. The sandwich came together lickity split and it was bangin’. I have to say, Joe and I housed this sandwich in probably 5 minutes flat. Probably not something to be totally proud of unless I was in a “Wanna-be Steak Sandwich Eating Contest.” That won’t be happening, but what will happen is the recipe…
Wanna-be Steak Sandwiches
Serving Size: 2 sandwiches
- 1 ciabatta bread loaf
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, stem & membranes, seeds removed, sliced
- 3 Tbsp butter, divided
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems & gills removed, sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp butter on medium heat.
- Add diced onion and sliced red pepper and allow to soften & brown – 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer onions and peppers to a dish.
- Add remaining Tbsp butter and sliced portobello mushrooms cooking on either side – 3 to 5 minutes.
- Slice loaf down middle going length wise and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake on 350F for 3 minutes or until lightly browned and cheese has melted.
- Add cooked onions, peppers and mushrooms.
- Spoon a few Tbsp of sauce onto each sandwich.
- Place top on sandwich and ENJOY!