Yay! It’s Friday and I’m sure everyone has worked hard to get to this day. I know I sure have. Last night I did a long workout on the treadmill, which was dreadful while I was running it, but afterwards I felt like a champ. I talked about getting through workouts on the treadmill before and I used some of these tips yesterday. What are your ways of crushing a workout on the treadmill? Anyway, I also made these corn & black bean burgers, which are so easy to make and delicious. They are meant to be vegan, but I feel like an egg white would help to hold them together so that’s what I did. You could do a flax egg and then they truly would be vegan. Read on for the recipe…
Corn & Black Bean Burgers
Adapted from Eating Well
- 1 can black beans, rinsed/drained
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Mash black beans and spices (cumin, paprika and chili powder) together with potato masher.
- Stir corn and 1/4 cup bread crumbs in bean mixture.
- Add egg white and mix together well with hands.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato, green onion, cilantro and 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Combine tomato mixture with black bean mixture.
- In small bowl, mix together remaining Tbsp olive oil and remaining bread crumbs.
- Create 6 small black bean patties.
- Brush tops of patties with breadcrumb/olive oil.
- Bake at 425F for 10 minutes, flip and cook 10 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with creamy avocado, tomatoes and ENJOY!