This light salad can be made ahead of time and enjoyed a little bit at a time over the week as a side dish or you could eat it in one sitting as I did last week for work! I like using different grains and using them as the base of my salad, which almost reminds me of a healthy version of pasta salad or potato salad. I think the creations you can make are endless. What’s your favorite grain to use? Quinoa, rice, millets, pasta, lentils? As I was making the greens and beans of this salad, I had a brilliant idea, which was to use the green sauce from last week that was still in the fridge. Woop, woop, no wasting good food! I had a small mason jar left in the fridge and it luckily complemented the bulgur salad quite well.
Do you have a go-to salad you make during the week that you just love? What is your favorite combination in a “salad” like dish? My other must have in a dish like this is tomatoes, basil and cheese. Read on to hear about the recipe…
Serving: 2 main meals
- 1 cup bulgur wheat, cooked
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1 package fresh spinach
- 1 can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- zucchini & spinach sauce
- Sprinkle of herbed feta cheese – optional
- In saute pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add shallots.
- Let cook 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add spinach let wilt.
- Add kidney beans and heat throughout.
- Plate cooked bulgur and top with bean and spinach mixture.
- Drizzle spinach sauce on top.
- Sprinkle feta cheese on top – optional.